Monday, December 12, 2005

Honesty is the Best Policy; Timing is the Best Practice

After working on landing a significant customer, certain factors changed that were going to make it extremely difficult to deliver my product to the customer at the price we negotiated. When these factors first presented themselves, I ran through every possible option I had available and was only able to come up with one solution to deliver the promised price – this "solution" had some less-than-desirable requirements on the customer’s part. Failing that, the only other option I felt I had was to tell the customer I was forced to withdraw my proposal. At any rate, I had to be honest with the customer.

I met with the customer and presented them with the two options. Needless to say, they were less than happy. Later that afternoon, I received a phone call from the owner of the company in which he expressed, in no uncertain terms, his distaste for my bait and switch. He made some very strong statements about my character – and they weren’t necessarily endorsements of which to be proud.

How could being honest be wrong? I thought being up front would be redeeming. Not quite.
When I went in to talk to my customer, hat in hand, honesty should have still been at the core of my presentation – but I should have added one more option: time. "Mr. Customer, in light of these factors, I can think of two possible options that are less than ideal. I tell you this to let you know that with a little more time, we will find the optimal solution."

It was a rookie mistake and one that my experience should have helped me avoid. The customer looks to us as the experts – as well they should! If we don’t live up to that expectation, we’re nothing more than schlocks!